The road to homeownership can often be an overwhelming process for a first time homebuyer. Homebuyer Education classes can help answer the many questions you may have and familiarize you with how to safely find, finance and purchase your home, fulfill MSHDA loan requirements, and prepare yourself for closing on your home. Our classes are intended for students that have a purchase agreement in place and are working with a lender and a mortgage product that is requiring Homebuyer Education.
Our topics include:
- Tips for working with a realtor
- How to preparing for meeting with a lender
- Calculating your debt to income ratio and an affordable mortgage payment
- What makes up your credit score and ways you can improve it
- Predatory lending and how you can avoid the traps
- Taxes and insurance
- The ins and outs of closing on your home
- Resources available to you once you are homeowner
The Homebuyer Education is a requirement if you are planning to receive a MSHDA mortgage, down payment assistance from the City of Grand Rapids or using HOP funding from a participating lender.
Contact us about setting up a class.